Monday, February 14, 2011

Elizabeth, NJ: Algarve Restaurant

Algarve Restaurant
656 Van Buren Avenue
Elizabeth, NJ

A self-described healthy barbeque and Portuguese cuisine, Algarve Restaurant offers a range of food, from Frog Legs, to Filet Mignon, to pasta and seafood options.  And with a full bar, they offer drinks to compliment your meal, including half and whole pitchers of Sangria using at least four types of alcohol.

Tips: The streets of Elizabeth can be a bit complicated with its one-way streets.  The restaurant has a parking lot to the right of the restaurant on a one way street on Louisa, so be prepared to spin around to go down the one way to hit the parking lot on the right. 

A hot spot for the locals, you'll no doubt find the usuals sitting around the circular bar.  The juke box is always playing random tunes, so don't hesitate to fill up the playlist with your favorites.   

Food: I had to no doubt first order a pitcher of Sangria.  It had a great kick to it with the various liquors used, and definitely a drink I would recommend ordering.  The glasses are small, which can be frustrating, especially when it was also full with ice, but the pitcher is large so there is plenty of Sangria to go around.

Every meal comes with a warm crusty Portuguese roll.  I simply can't get enough of that bread!  To continue with the comfort food journey, I ordered the Shrimp & Rice Spanish Style for one.  It was a very healthy (in true American style) portion and great proportion of rice to shrimp. Similar to paella, it came out in a sizzling hot cast iron leaving those delicious burnt and crunchy rice pieces at the end.  The shrimp was surprisingly fresh - I think I even chewed a tiny part of the shell which makes me think that it started with fresh shrimp that was deshelled in the kitchen.  The yellow rice tasted really similar to "Goya - Rice Amarillo" but regardless it was cooked perfectly al dente.  It could have use a little less oil and butter, but overall comfort food I could eat every day!

Final Thoughts: I can see why this is a local hot spot.  If I lived closer to Elizabeth, I'd certainly be a frequent visitor.  The prices are just right (less than $20 for grilled Chilean Sea Bass!) and the seafood seemed surprisingly fresh; I no doubt underestimated the freshness from this unassuming restaurant in the middle of Elizabeth.  I also sneaked in a few french fries from my friend's plate, and while they were nothing spectacular, the honey mustard was one of the best I've enjoyed! 

Happy Eating Bergen County!

No comments:

Post a Comment