Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Englewood, NJ: Hummus Elite

Hummus Elite
39 East Palisade Avenue
Englewood, NJ
Bergen County

Hummus Elite is one of a handful of kosher restaurants in Englewood, but what sets them apart from the others is their commitment to using organic eggs and produce.  Their menu is limited, but that allows them to stick with what they're great at making, hummus and falafels.

Tips: It's probably a better idea to sit and eat a sandwich from here, then to eat and walk your dog in the park at the same time like I did.  If you choose to sit and eat, Hummus Elite is small and cozy, with an updated and clean bathroom, something that doesn't slip by this foodie.  The folks there are eager to describe the food to you.

Food: We ordered the Falafel Sandwich and Sabbich Sandwich to go.  They did a great job bagging it with plenty of napkins, dipping sauces, and wrapped in both tin foil and wax paper which really appreciated when trying to juggle my dog leash and the sandwich. 

The sandwiches I normally have come in a thicker pita that is rolled up so it's more of a long shape.  Here, they use more of the traditional pita, which works fine, though it is thinner in comparison.  A pro for this is that the flavor of the falafel is not over powered by a thicker bread, while a con is that the sauce and items in the sandwich can quickly make the pita soggy.  I do have to say though that here the pita stayed relatively okay. 

The Falafel in my sandwich was delicious.  Perfectly seasoned and fried.  There was cabbage and hummus, but the one item that I was seriously caught off guard by was the 4 or 5 random french fries.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE french fries, particularly in sandwiches (ie. Rutgers College - Grease Trucks), but I wasn't sure if french fries were intentionally put in there or accidentally.  If they were intentionally put in there, then I was disappointed to see that they were mainly on the bottom of my sandwich which leads me to believe that they were used as fillers.  While the potato flavor of course was delicious, I would have appreciated one more tasty falafel or more hummus, which there was a serious lack of, but had a thick fresh consistency.

The Sabbich Sandwich was our first.  Described on their menu to have "hummus, boiled egg, tahini, & roasted eggplant" it had much of all of that.  The roasted eggplant in particular was seasoned beautifully, and the random mix of items worked really well together.  My partner however did feel like it was too much of the same mushy consistency, but I loved the flavors.  I did however feel like there was too much egg yolk and not enough egg white. 

Final Thoughts: Hummus Elite knows how to flavor their items.  I appreciate a place like this where it's small, intimate, and clearly family run.  I'm eager to try their array of hummus varieties, particularly the one drizzled with truffle oil, and will definitely plan to stop in again to fulfill my falafel craving, but will ask them to hold the french fries, whether intentional or not. 

Happy Eating Bergen County, NJ!

No comments:

Post a Comment